Today was the
first day to a long journey at the Lydia Home. As I walked into the Lydia Home
I noticed immediately that all of the children were from an African American
decent. I assumed that this would be the majority but what I did not expect
there to be only one race. After meeting a few of the children it was time to
do homework. Since these children were surrounded by their friends many of them
didn’t get much or anything accomplished. When trying to help them they didn’t understand
of at times it seemed they had more struggles paying attention or understanding
they way I was explaining the problem to them. I understood that they had been
at school all day and some other didn’t have homework so they could talk, so
the ones who had work to do were distracted. Another assumption have manages to
see is that without this program I don’t believe these children would get they homework
they needed done because I don’t believe they have the proper guidance or
teacher at home to help them.
When relating
these actions to communication I feel like the external noise is a large issue.
Another issue is that some of these children may have neurobehavioral challenges
that interrupt their communication and focusing skills; these challenges could
be for example ADHD. Also these children may be going through a linguistic thought
process that influences how they see something and the behavioral response due
to their surroundings.
For my future
visits I plan on pulling one child aside each visit and working on a one on one
basis with them to fulfill their needs and limit their distractions, whether
those distractions are other or even themselves. With this type of process I
feel the child will get more out or this homework time and in return be more successful.
However, this will only work if the child I am working with is willing to be a
comprehensive learner and willing to focus on the task at hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment