Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Blog #4


            While visiting the Lydia Home today something about the children’s language struck me and I haven’t noticed this as much in my prior visits. I noticed that many of these children were speaking in slang vocabulary and some of what they were saying I didn’t understand. I know that there is a common semantic society language for multiple meanings but it seemed as if they had their own language and accent. Many of the words that society has come to a consensus on is a connotative definition. Many of these different forms of vocabulary are forms of influences of perception.

           

            These influences can be mood, social, and self concept. Mood can change your outlook on something altering how you speak and the words you may use. Self concept can impact how you view yourself then that would also reflect your mood. Lastly social influences can change how you act by who you are around. I feel that these children may use this new language or vocabulary with their friends and maybe family member but I don’t believe they would use this slang with their doctors or teachers.

 

            Language is a strange thing and it is always changing. There are so many different words that have multiple meanings and now we are getting new words with new meanings. With the different types of communication we have I have asked they children to explain what they mean in a different way so I can understand just like I explain things in a different way when helping them with their homework. This will help them in future interactions to make sure what they are saying is clear between the sender and the receiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment