Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Blog #3


Today I had a great time at the Lydia Home. I got to help serve the kids snack, help with them with their homework, and then we had free playtime outside. As I looked around and observed the children as we were playing outside I noticed that the kid’s age range was from approximately three to eight years old. There was one kid that was an exception to this age range, his name was Javon. He was a twelve year old boy who didn’t necessarily fit in with all the other children based on his age. I went over and started talking to him once I noticed he was sitting by himself. Without even saying a word I could tell he wasn’t a very outgoing person just by his non verbal communication actions. When talking with me he held his head down, fidgeted with his fingers, and spoke in a soft tone, he was shy. Once we got to know one another a bit more I started kicking a ball back and forth with him as we continue to talk. As this went on Javon started opening up more to me with his non verbal communication actions. His head finally rose up and I started to see a smile as we talked.
 

            From today’s experience I am happy that I could make a kid who wasn’t very happy or comfortable in his environment open up to me and smile. Just by analyzing his nonverbal cues and his characteristics before approaching him I knew I needed to be the main contributor in this communication exchange. While speaking with Javon I made sure to use the four stages of listening to make sure I was showing interest, understanding, evaluating, and retaining all the information he was giving to show that I cared and I was there to be his friend if he needed any advice.


            By this experience I plan on letting children open up to me and making sure that they have someone in their life that they can turn to when they are in a tough spot or they just need a friend. I also realized how important those four stages are when talking to someone who wants someone to listen and they don’t always say what they are saying with their words but also with their non verbal cues.

No comments:

Post a Comment